How to Launch an SEO Friendly Mobile App
You may have adhered to all the right design and “manufacturing” principles to produce a fabulous mobile application. You may have also ensured that you have told all the right people about the availability of this application too.
However, if you think you can stop at this stage, hoping that your fabulous mobile application will somehow become commercially successful; then you have another thing coming!
Creating a great mobile application is only the first step to marketing it. You have to find space for yourself within the over crowded mobile apps marketplace. There seems to be an app for everything under the sun. You also need to contend with the fact that app development is a global phenomenon.
Your chance of making it successful, therefore, lies in launching a mobile application that is SEO-friendly too. One of the important things to keep in mind is the fact that a mobile app, per se, does not lend itself to SEO. It is the ecosystem that it operates in that is SEO-friendly. Here are a few ways in which you can ensure that your applications are easily discoverable.
App Store Optimization
Just as websites rely on search engine optimization to become more visible in search engine rankings, you should ensure that you are creating mobile applications that go through an App Store Optimization or ASO process as well.
There are some tools and methods by which you can ensure that your application is optimized. Examples of these tools are Moz and Kissmetrics.
Some of the aspects that are critical to ASO are:
Complete understanding of your target customers
Including the keywords that will make sense to your customers and,
Ensuring that your applications are discovered through in-app store searches.
According to research by Forrester, 63% of mobile applications are discovered only through searches conducted within the application store itself. (Source – Forrester Research Inc.).
Content surrounding the application
Once you know your target audience, you need to create a description for your mobile application that will appeal to this audience. Here are a few points to keep in mind:
1. The description should give enough information to detail what the application can do. It should also have keywords and content that will make it SEO friendly.
2. Creating a website that can support your mobile application is a good idea. You should also ensure that you have reciprocal links between your website and your application’s page.
3. The title of your application is perhaps the most powerful message that you can send out. It need not be too lengthy but it should certainly be descriptive. It should be easy to pronounce, remember and should point to its function.
3. Some experts also recommend the addition of words such as “free” and “lite” to help drive even more traffic towards your application.
4. The other aspect of content when it comes to your mobile application is to name the URL. It is a good idea to keep the name of the application and your URL the same.
5. Finally, you should also be very careful to choose the right category for your application. Most people will not do a generic search for mobile applications. Instead, they will specify exactly what they are looking for.
For instance, if you have an application that helps people book flights and hotel rooms, stating that it is a travel application is a better bet than putting it under the lifestyle category.
Thus, it is critical to remember that it is the “support” systems of a mobile application that make it SEO-friendly. The process begins with creating a great app but it can be taken forward only with the right kind of eco-system.
About The Author: Vishal is the founder of Appsquare, an app development company in Australia that designs innovative apps, provides part funding for selected app ideas and also helps app developers get funding through its network of Venture Capitalists and Angel Investors.